There's a new Star Trek movie

News and Announcements regarding Redial and related sites.

There's a new Star Trek movie

Postby foamy » May 19th, 2009, 9:03 pm

It's awesome and you should watch it.
In the grim future of redial, there is only bitterness.
foamy
Barista

IRC Nickname(s): DarthFoamy

Re: There's a new Star Trek movie

Postby Basil Wrathbone » May 22nd, 2009, 9:06 am

My wife and I went to see it last night.

I will say this for it. It's a good popcorn flick, but it's not Star Trek. It's just your basic summer blockbuster movie with a Star Trek sticker on it. It's Armageddon with better spaceships (you remember, the Bruce Willis flick?). Star Trek has had a tradition of dealing with the deeper meanings, examinations of the human condition or tackling the tough issues of the day. This one brushed right past that in favor of "MORE 'SPLOSIONS!!" If there's one thing you can count on JJ Abrams to do, it's stick to the formula. And all the elements were in it:

The Bad Boy - Kirk
The "edgy" character - Spock
The Brainy Hot Chick - Uhura
The Plucky Comic Relief - Bones, Chekov' & Scotty
The Token Asian Guy - Sulu
The Plot - The world is facing imminent destruction and this heroic crew must race to save it.

Don't get me wrong. There were some things I liked about this movie. Simon Pegg stole every scene he was in. He was brilliant! The guy who played McCoy was channeling DeForrest Kelly. The "tips of the hat" and references to the original series were priceless. But soundbytes and pop culture references do not a movie make (unless you're the American Pie or Scary Movie francises, of course). This is pure, unadulterated fluff. Further proof that society is getting dumber and dumber every year and that Hollywood will do ANYTHING to make a buck.
The only thing that keeps me sane is my close, personal relationship with my collection of singing potatoes.
Basil Wrathbone

IRC Nickname(s): Basil

Postby todd10000 » May 23rd, 2009, 4:36 am

i liked it.

Nothing much else to say. I could go on and on about how it's "not" star trek, but fact of the matter is, t'was a good movie, star trek or no.
todd10000

IRC Nickname(s): todd10k

Postby foamy » May 23rd, 2009, 6:22 pm

Basil Wrathbone wrote:My wife and I went to see it last night.

I will say this for it. It's a good popcorn flick, but it's not Star Trek. It's just your basic summer blockbuster movie with a Star Trek sticker on it. It's Armageddon with better spaceships (you remember, the Bruce Willis flick?). Star Trek has had a tradition of dealing with the deeper meanings, examinations of the human condition or tackling the tough issues of the day. This one brushed right past that in favor of "MORE 'SPLOSIONS!!"

While it's true that Trek has done that sort of thing, we're talking about a new version of The Original Series here, the series that gave us tribbles and a planet composed entirely of gangsters. I think the movie was entirely true to the sense of fun TOS had.
In the grim future of redial, there is only bitterness.
foamy
Barista

IRC Nickname(s): DarthFoamy

Postby Rycio » May 25th, 2009, 12:13 pm

I liked it because I am not a Trekkie. For a superproduction coming straight from the US it wasn't a bad movie. Tbh I didn't get bored much even tho it was a really long one. Storyline was a joke but I can't really find any fantasy movie that wouldn't match your description. Times of movies with good plot have finished :p People go to the cinemas to watch special effects nowadays.

The movie was funny, intresting to watch and the effects r0x0red as Neil would say.

Anyways I liked the fact they mostly used actors from TV series. Syler was perfect for the role. Seeing the chick from House MD made me laugh my ass off and the whole cinema started staring at me without a clue. Scotty and the little guy was a comedian version of Han Solo and Chewbacca tbh :P

Ps.: Black chick + Spock = O.O
Rycio

IRC Nickname(s): ZmZblows

Postby Rover » June 16th, 2009, 11:55 am

/me liked it . . .
Rover

IRC Nickname(s): Rover

Return to News